To execute 5×5 DCCAH is requesting proposals from a Curatorial Team to manage the 5×5 Public Art Project. Through a competitive process, DCCAH and the selected Curatorial Team will select five curators for the 5×5 exhibition. Individually, each curator will be responsible for identifying five different artists to create artwork for five different sites throughout the city. The result of this collaborative process will yield 25 new, temporary public artworks that will enliven the public realm throughout the District and generate new artistic interest in temporary public art.
Currently, DCCAH has allocated $250,000 (approximately $50,000 per curator) for the fees, design, fabrication, installation and de-installation of each site. The selected Curatorial Team will lead the 5×5 implementation process and work with the 5×5 curators to gain site control, manage their budget and finalize their schedule(s) for the 5×5 exhibits and ultimately ensure that the following goals of this initiative are met:
- Creatively activate vacant spaces and sites to attract residents and visitors to explore beyond the monumental core.
- Showcase artworks that are innovative by incorporating fresh ideas such as creative pop up retail, entertainment, recreation, technology, culinary arts, interactive workspace, education, dynamic installations, etc.
- Form partnership opportunities between the private sector and creative community to support the city’s economic development efforts.
- Create opportunities for artists to experiment with approaches that are not possible through permanent commissions.
- Build relationships with local community groups, galleries and cultural institutions, city agencies, organizations and site owners.
- Create an environment in which the works of local, regional, national and international artists merge to reflect the character and identity of the city.
- Raise the creative profile of the city.
For questions, email Deirdre Ehlen.