WHAT: MID CITY ARTISTS FALL OPEN STUDIOS TOUR: Twenty-one local artists open their studios to the public to meet, learn, enjoy and buy art.
WHERE: Across the Mid City corridor, from Dupont Circle to Scott Circle and Logan Circle and North to Florida Ave. NW
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday, October 22 & 23, 12-5 PM (some studio times vary)
DOWNLOADABLE MAP OF TOUR is available at: www.MidCityArtists.com
Mark your calendars for Sat/Sun October 22 and 23 when twenty-one artists who are part of the “Mid City Artists” collaborative, will open their studio doors as part of The Mid City Artists Fall Open Studios Tour. This bi-annual event in DC’s “Mid-City” – in and around the Dupont Circle and Logan Circle neighborhoods – offers a special opportunity for art-lovers to take a peek into the artists’ creative process, connect personally with artists and learn more about how and where they make art, and purchase art as well. The participating artists represent a great diversity of work, including drawings, sculptures, paintings, prints, photographs and mixed media.
Host to some of the city’s hottest restaurants, nightclubs, galleries, interior design shops and fashion boutiques, the Mid City corridor is a thriving destination for the arts in DC. The Fall Open Studios Tour runs from 12 to 5 PM on Saturday and Sunday, October 22 and 23. Spend your weekend visiting Mid City Artists and see the community on foot, bike or public transit.
The new Room & Board Home Furnishings Store located at 14th and T St’s NW is also collaborating with Mid City Artists during the weekend of the Fall Open Studios Tour. In a local effort to build a neighborhood of art and home furnishings, the store will showcase the works of four MCA artists in a special exhibition “A Neighborhood of Art and Home Furnishings” from October 20-23.
Plan your visits in advance by mapping out your route on the downloadable Tour Map, which also features personalized “open” times at each studio. Use the Capital Bikeshare program to get around; it’s only $5 for the day from one dock to another in 30 minutes.
Mid City Artists is a talented group of more than 40 professional artists who have banded together to promote their work and create an artists’ community in a central part of the nation’s capital. A number of Mid City Artists members are well known and represented by galleries, while others are emerging artists. The Open Studios Tour occurs every spring and fall.
The twenty-one participating artists in the Mid City Artists 2011 Fall Open Studios Tour are:
- Chuck Baxter – Found Art Sculpture.
- Jane Cave – Photography. www.janecavephoto.com.
- Robert Cole – Metal Sculpture. www.studiocole.com. Recently completed and installed a commissioned metal sculpture named “3 Trees” in the courtyard of a new apartment complex in Petworth, on Georgia Avenue. Originally called Georgia Commons, the building was actually renamed after the sculpture and is now call 3Tree Flats.
- Susan Cole – Digitography. www.studiocole.com. Modifies photographs and line drawings with imaging software. Teacher of graphic design at the Art Institute of Washington. Susan and her husband Robert also play music with their band Blue Judy, recently performing at Arts on Foot in Penn Quarter.
- Aster da Fonseca – Abstract Painting. www.asterdafonseca.com. A native of Brazil, he is fascinated with and inspired by the vibrant colors of its blue-green water, deep blue skies and the beautiful greens of its forests and mountains. In his work, he attempts to express the calming and peaceful sensation of the sea.
- Robert Dodge – Photography. www.RobertDodge.com. Showing new prints from recent three-week photo shooting trip to Vietnam. The works are part of his six-year project, “Vietnam Unexpected.”
- Ryan Epp – Paintings Oil/Acrylic. http://web.mac.com/ryan.epp. Recently exhibited work at the 2011 17th Street Festival in Dupont Circle.
- Gary Fisher – Painting. www.fishergallery.com. Founding member of Mid City Artists. Works will be on display with 3 other MCA artists in a first ever collaboration with Room and Board on 14th St. in a special exhibition.
- Glenn Fry – Silk Screen Artist. www.glennfryart.com. Recently completed his 2nd commissioned installation (7 pieces) for the Federal Reserve in Washington, DC. Works will be on display with 3 other MCA artists in a first ever collaboration with Room and Board on 14th St. in a special exhibition.
- Charlie Gaynor – Photography.www.charliegaynor.com. “My camera is the tool that allows me to create the images that I would paint if skilled in that art.” Works will be on display with 3 other MCA artists in a first ever collaboration with Room and Board on 14th St. in a special exhibition.
- Charlie Jones – Painting. www.CJonesPaintings.com. Works will be on display with 3 other MCA artists in a first ever collaboration with Room and Board on 14th St. in a special exhibition.
- Miguel Perez Lem – Painting, Photography, Mixed Media. http://www.lemdesign.com/. A native of Argentina, his works combine the realistic figure of the western culture with the minimalistic use of the space and mood of the eastern culture. He will hold a FREE one-hour intro seminar to his art classes on Sat. 10/22 from 6 to 7pm.
- Joren Lindholm – Painting. www.jorenlindholm.com
- Lucinda Murphy – Painting. www.lucindafriendlymurphy.com
- Betto Ortiz – Photography.
- Dave Peterson – Painting, Printmaking. www.branddave.com
- Brian Petro – Abstract Painting, Photography, www.brianpetro.com
- Peter Alexander Romero – Painting, Sculpture. www.RomeroArt.com
- George Smith-Shomari – Painting. www.shomariarts.com
- Robert Wiener – Art Glass. www.dcartglass.com. As a warm glass artist, he strives to achieve individual style through personal expression with emphasis on structure and technique. Recently in Scotland attending a professional artist residency, he will be back in DC in time to participate in the Open Studio Tour.
- Colin Winterbottom – Photography. www.colinwinterbottom.com
For more information, PLEASE CONTACT:
AMORE Marketing + Public Relations for Mid City Artists
Office: 202-506-3056; Mobile: 206-954-8006